2020 was a uniquely difficult year in many ways and boxing was no exception, but based on hard work, initiative and effort, the boxing industry managed to adapt to the new protection and health regulations and protocols and great activity took place all around the world.
2021 is recognized as “The Year of Boxing” by the WBC, because in addition to special anniversaries, we want to highlight the glory and multi achievements of our sport, we celebrate life through boxing.
In the “Year of Boxing” we will commemorate the following important dates which will be continuously celebrated worldwide:
- Jan 19, 2001, 20 years since the induction of Jose Sulaiman into the Laredo Latin American International Sports Hall of Fame, in Laredo, Texas.
- Jan 28, 2006, 15 years of the first “Night of Champions” in Cancun, with the attendance of 92 world champions
- Feb. 1, 2001, Unveiling of the plaque with the handprints of Jose Sulaiman at the Paseo de las Luminarias, Plaza Galerias Hotel in Mexico City.
- Feb. 25, 1986, 35 years of the Azumah Nelson vs. Marcos Villasana fight for the benefit of the damaged by the earthquake in Mexico City.
- March 3, 1996, 25 years since Daniel Zaragoza defeated Joichiro Tatsuyoshi by knockout in the eleventh round, defending his WBC Super bantamweight title in Yokohama, Japan.
- March 8, 1971, the half century anniversary of the Muhammad Ali vs. Joe Frazier fight. MSG, New York.
- March 22, 1921, 90th birthday of International Boxing Hall of Famer (2019) Guy Jutras of Montréal, Boxer, referee , judge (WBC and WBA), administrator, executive, promoter. 69th year in professional boxing. (Montreal).
- March 30, 2021, Night of Champions dinner to honor all current and former WBC world champions from Thailand.
- April 12, 1981, 40 years of the death of Joe Louis.
- April 28, 1971. Would have been the 50th birthday of former WBC World Supermiddleweight Champion Markus Beyer who passed away two years ago.
- May 3, 1921, 100th Anniversary of the birth of Sugar Ray Robinson in Ailey, Georgia.
- May 8, 1976, 45 years of the Gattu Ishimatsu vs. Esteban de Jesus, Puerto Rico, first fight for a world title in history won at auction. Salinas Promotions of Puerto Rico offered $ 250,000 dollars for $ 210,000 from the Japanese promoter Kenji Yonekura. It was also the first time that a Japanese world champion defended his title outside their country.
- May 8, 1976, 45 years since Carlos ‘Cañas’ Zarate dethroned Rodolfo Martínez, for KO in 9 rounds, winning the WBC bantamweight world title at the Inglewood Forum.
- May 13, 1981, 40 years since the WBC instituted May 13, as Boxer’s Day for the anniversary of Joe Louis.
- May 15, 2006, 15 years of the Lifetime Achievement Award granted to Jose Sulaiman by the American Association of Professional Ringside Physicians (AAPRP) in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- May 23, 1981, 40 years since Wilfredo Benítez conquered his third world title in 3 different divisions. He had previously won the superlight and welterweight crowns. He then defeating Maurice Hope, by knockout in 12 rounds, to win the WBC Superwelter title, at Caesars Palace at Las Vegas, Nevada.
- May 23, 1986, first fight for the WBC Continental Americas Championship between Marvin Mack and Poncho Carter.
- May 30, 2005, 15th anniversary of first WBC Female World Championship, Jackie Nava vs. Leona Brown in Tijuana, Mexico.
- May 30, 1931, 90 Anniversary of Jose Sulaiman.
- June 11, 2005, 15th anniversary of Laila Ali becoming WBC Female World Champion, by defeating Erin Toughill by TKO3 in Washington, D.C.
- June 14, 2011, 10 years of Jose Sulaiman named as Honorary Citizen of Brockton, Massachusetts.
- June 16, 1951, 70th Birthday of Roberto Duran.
- June 18, 1941, 80th Anniversaries of the great Louis vs. Conn I bout that drew 60,071 to New York’s Polo Grounds.
- June 20, 1981, 40 years since Alexis Arguello conquered his third world title in 3 different divisions. He had previously been champion at Feather and Super Feather. He overcame Scottish Jim Watt, by unanimous decision in 15 rounds, conquering the WBC Lightweight title, in London, England.
- June 19, 1936, 85 years of Max Schmeling knocking out Joe Louis at Yankee Stadium (VERY important moment in German boxing history
- June 23, 2001, 20 years since Oscar de la Hoya won the WBC super welterweight title by defeating the Spanish Javier Castillejo by decision, to conquer his 5th World title in 5 different divisions. Formerly Super Featherweight, Lightweight, Superlight and welterweight champion. This triumph was at the MGM Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- July 2, 1921. The centenary of the first fight that had a million dollar box office profit. The Jack Dempsey versus Georges Carpentier bout was the first ever boxing fight to produce $1,000,000 dollars in revenue, or a “million dollar gate” at a then record of $1,789,238. It was also the first heavyweight championship fight where women attended in great numbers and also the first simultaneous electronic broadcast (Radio or TV) of a world title bout, in New Jersey.
- July,7, 1921. Centennial of the birth of Ezzard Charles, former heavyweight champ and charter member of the IBHOF (1989). Lawrence, Georgia.
- July 10, 1951, 70th Anniversary of the Sugar Ray Robinson v Randy Turpin bouts, where Britain’s Turpin upset Robinson to win the world title in London on July 10 only to have Robinson regain the crown – only 62 days later, on September 12, before 61,370 at New York’s Polo Grounds.
- July 19, 1971, 50 birthday of Vitali Klitschko.
- August 18, 1941, Largest attendance in boxing history, Free Attendance: 135,132 Tony Zale vs Billy Pryor, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
- August 20, 1931, the 90th birthdays of historic promoter Don King.
- August 21, 1981, 40 years since Salvador Sánchez defeated Wilfredo Gómez by technical knockout in 8 rounds, retaining the WBC featherweight world title, at the Sports Pavilion at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas.
- Sept. 16, 1981, 40th Anniversary of the first Sugar Ray vs. Leonard Tommy Hearns undisputed welterweight title in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Sept. 28, 1981, 40th birthday of the First Lady of Boxing, Cecilia Braekhus.
- October 20, 1986, 35 years after Don José created the WBC International Championships.
- October 20, 2001, 20 years of the induction of Jose Sulaiman into the California World Boxing Hall of Fame, having been elected in the first vote.
- 15 years creation of WBC Cares
- November 22, 1986, 35 years since Mike Tyson conquered the WBC heavyweight title by defeating Trevor Berbick by second round TKO, becoming the youngest world champion in history in this division at age 20, in las Vegas.
- Dec 8, 1931, the 90th birthdays of historic promoter Bob Arum.
- Dec. 10, 1986, 35 years of the first fight for the International title between Raul Valdez and Rocky Chitalada in Thailand.
- Dec. 26, 1971, 50th Anniversary of Muhammad Ali vs. Juergen Blin in Zurich. It’s one of Ali’s five pro fights in Europe.
For the list of boxing events we will cover live with and with unofficial scorecard (main event), click the following link > Live Boxing Results & Events Events <